Friends & Supporters for ERI in Korea
- 조완규 박사, Dr. Wan Kyoo Cho, Ph.D., 전 서울대학교 총장, 전 교육부장관을 지냈으며 국가과학기술자문회의 위원장과 한국바이오 산업협회장 등을 역임하였다. 국제백신연구소(IVI) 유치위원장, IVI 이사, IVI 한국후원회 이사장으로 봉사하였고 현재는 IVI 한국후원회 상임고문으로 활동하고 있다. 1998년 이래 재미 주한인 대학 교수 협회 자문 위원장으로 봉사하고 있으며 역시 동암 문화 연구소 한국후원회장으로 연구소 일을 돕고 있다.
Dr. Wan Kyoo Cho is Former President of Seoul National University and Former Minister of Education, ROK. Dr. Cho served as Chairman of the Presidential Commission on Science and Technology. He also led the effort to establish the International Vaccine Institute (IVI) initiated by UNDP to develop vaccines against childhood disease, in Korea in 1994 and served as a founding member of the IVI Board of Trustees. Currently, Dr. Cho serves as an Executive Advisor to the Korea Support Committee for IVI. Dr. Cho has served as Chairperson of the Advisory Board of the Korean American University Professors Association (KAUPA) since 1998, and supports East Rock Institute as Chair of the Friends and Supporters of East Rock Institute in Korea. He is a much respected and loved mentor who has supported many ERI programs including the Seoul National University/ERI joint archive digitization project and the 2012 Cross-Cultural Aging Initiative conference held at Seoul National University.
- 길정우 국회의원, Dr. Jeong Woo Kil, Ph.D., 현 서울 양천갑 새누리당 국회의원, DMZ 문화포럼 창립이사, 한국 예술종합학교 발전재단 이사, 국회 산업통상자원위원회 위원으로 일하고 있다. 미국 Yale 대학에서 정치학박사 학위를 받았으며, 외교관, 통일연구원 정책연구실장, 중앙일보 논설위원, 워싱턴 특파원, 중앙 M&B 대표, 서울사이버대학교 총장 대행과 환경재단 기후 변화 센터 이사를 지냈다. 문화 외교 및 민간외교에 관심을 갖고 외교의 지평을 확대하고자 노력하고 있다.
Dr. Jeong Woo Kil , B.A. Seoul National University, Ph.D., Yale University, Political Science, is an elected member of the Korean National Assembly, after previously working at the Korean Embassy in Washington D.C., teaching at Seoul National University, and serving as Publisher of the JoongAng Daily and President of the Joongang Magazines and Books. Dr. Kil has been a strong supporter of ERI since his graduate student days at Yale and provided inspiration to many ERI projects including the Cross-Cultural Aging Initiative as well. He currently serves as an Executive Officer of the Friends and Supporters of the East Rock Institute and has sponsored a number of events in Seoul to benefit ERI.
- 이홍구 박사, 현 중앙일보 고문, 서울국제포럼 이사장. 서울대학교 법과대학 재학 중 미국에 유학하여 에모리 대학교에서 정치학을 전공하고, 예일 대학교에서 정치학 박사 학위를 받았다. 서울대학교 정치학 교수와 주영국 한국대사, 주미국 한국대사, 통일원장관 겸 부총리를 거쳐 국무총리를 지냈다. 2012 세계자연보전총회 조직위원회 위원장, 사법정책 자문위원회 위원장을 역임 하였으며, 체육훈장 청룡장 (1997), 청조근정훈장 (1996) 등을 수여하였다.
Dr. Hong-Koo Lee, Ph.D. Yale University, Former Prime Minister, professor emeritus of political science, Seoul National University, ambassador to Great Britain and then to the United States from Republic of Korea. He is a former President of Yale Club of Korea, and current Chairman of Seoul Forum for International Affairs. Dr. Lee has been the member of the Friends and supporters of East Rock Institute in Korea.
- Dr. Young Mu Shin, (Daniel M. Shin) is a venture capitalist and senior luxury fashion executive. He is a founding member and partner of KingsBay Capital, a cross-border venture capital firm based in San Francisco. He also oversees corporate and business development activities at MCM, a German luxury brand operating worldwide. Prior to that, Daniel served in various executive roles at DreamPlus of Hanwha, Strategic Investment Group of Korea Telecom, CJ E&M, and BINEXT (Daesung). He has gained deep knowledge through extensive investment experience in the private equity industry doing both cross-border and cross-stage investments and also acting as a both general partner and limited partner directly and indirectly investing over $1.2B in the various alternative investment opportunities. He has published several books and is a frequent speaker on subjects related to innovation and tech entrepreneurship around the globe. He received a bachelor’s degree from Indiana University at Bloomington and a master’s from Stern School of Business, New York University, and is currently working towards a doctoral degree at University Paris-Dauphine (University of Paris IX). He was selected as a prestigious Yale World Fellow of Yale University in 2013.
- 이인호 사장 Dr. In-Ho Lee, (B.A., Wesley College, Ph.D., Harvard University), Chair of the Governing Board of the KBS, Professor Emerita of Seoul National University, Formerly, Korean Ambassador to Finland and Russia, President of the Korea Foundation, Chair of the Board of Directors, Asian Institute for Policy Studies. Member of the Friends and Supporters of East Rock Institute in Korea. Dr. Lee supported ERI’s award-winning teaching website on Korean culture (www.instrok.org) when she was the President of the Korea Foundation and has been a longtime supporter of ERI since her undergraduate days in Boston.
- 이종남 Mr. Jong-Nam Lee, Former Minister of Justice, passed the 12th Judiciary Examination in 1960, and passed 11th Certified Public Accountant Examination in 1964 and was president of Korean Institute of Certified Public Accountants from 1992-1996.
Before being appointed as Chairman of Board of Audit and Inspection, Korea, Mr. Lee has held various important portfolios, for a period of 25 years from 1961-1988. He worked as Public Prosecutor, Sr. Public Prosecutor, Chief Public Prosecutor, Vice-Minister, Ministry of Justice and Prosecutor General.
With his unmatched ability and experience in the field of law he became Minister of Justice from 1990-91.
Apart from being a member of Asian Organisation of Supreme Audit Institution (ASOSAI) Governing Board, Mr. Lee is also the First Vice Chairman of International Organization of Supreme Audit Institutions (INTOSAI).
- 최애경교수 Dr. Choi is the Director of Ewha Women’s University, Department of International Business. Dr. Choi, formerly Dean of the University, selected and sent two or more Ewha students as summer interns to East Rock Institute. She and her students have regularly helped ERI events held in Korea with the support of Mr. Harry Nam or Dr. Joeng Woo Kil. Her daughter, Sang Ah Chun, was a onetime ERI intern and is currently a Ph.D. candidate, and her husband, Dr. Taek soo Chun, of the Academy of Korean Studies and former UNESCO Director, was a speaker at the 2005 ERI conference held at Yale University.
- 김성주 대표 Ms. Sung Joo Kim was inaugurated as the President of the Korean Red Cross in October 2014. She is the Chairperson and Chief Visionary Officer of the Sungjoo Group (Korea) and MCM Holding AG (Germany).
Sungjoo Group was founded in 1990 and has earned a reputation as Korea’s foremost fashion industry leader which launched the most prominent European luxury brands including Gucci, Yves Saint Laurent, Sonia Rykiel and Marks & Spencer. Sungjoo Group also acquired MCM (a top German luxury fashion brand founded in Munich in 1976) in 2005. Ms. Kim was selected as a Global Leader of Tomorrow by the World Economic Forum in Davos in 1997 and received the Ethics in Business Award from the EU government in 2009. She was also listed in Forbes’ Top 50 Asian Business Women in 2012 and selected as one of Asia’s 25 Hottest CEOs by Fortune in the same year. Ms. Kim was selected as a part of the “Innovation 101” for the Decide Now Act Summit hosted by the UN in 2012, and was appointed as Co-Chair of the Presidential Campaign Committee for President Geun-Hye Park who became the First Woman President in Korean history. Ms. Kim also became the first female entrepreneur to be appointed as a member of ABAC, representing Korean business community to APEC (Asia-Pacific Economy Cooperation) in 2013. She has recently been appointed as an Honorary Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) by the Queen Elizabeth II in June 2015 for her contribution to strengthening bilateral ties between the United Kingdom and the Republic of Korea.
She is a passionate philanthropist and works with several non-profit organizations, including World Vision, Asia House as a trustee member and the Global Summit of Women as an International Planning Committee member and other numerous humanitarian initiatives.
- 황해령 대표, Lutronic Corporation 대표이사, 미국 예일대학교 경제학과를 졸업하고, 1997년 현 코스닥 상장회사 루트로닉을 창업하였으며, 2013년 대한민국 벤처 활성화 공로로 대통령으로 부터 산업포장을 수상했다. 현재 보건복지부 보건의료기술 정책 심의위원 위원, 벤처 기업협회 부회장, 코스닥협회 부회장 등을 역임하고 있다.
Mr. Haelyung Hwang is founder and CEO of Lutronic Corporation, a KOSDAQ listed public company involved in the development and manufacturing of lasers for medical applications. Mr. Hwang majored in economics at Yale. During his undergraduate years, Mr. Hwang was among the first students participating in ERI’s Korean American summer fellowship to teach English in Korea and to learn about Korean culture. His parents, respected community leaders in Greater New Haven, were regular and active members of ERI’s monthly Korea Seminar. Mr. Hwang was co-chair of the planning committee for Gala 2015 celebration.
- 김영구 Dr. Yong Goo Kim, M.D., Ph.D., 현 한국동종의학연구원장. 서울의대 및 동대학원을 졸업하였으며, 의학박사, 영상의학 전문의이다. 1986년부터 1996년까지 중앙의대에서 영상의학 교수로 재직하였다. 1997년부터 유럽, 인도 등지에서 동종요법 (homeopathy) 연구, 2001년부터 2004년까지 차의과학대학 통합의학대학원 교수, 2005년에 한국동종의학연구원 (homeopathy institute of Korea) 설립, 현재 원장으로 활동 중이다.
Dr. Yoong Goo Kim represents three generations of ERI supporters. With his brother Yoongu Kim, M.D., Ph.D., and his sister, Ms. Chagyong Kim, Dr. Kim established an endowment fund in memory of his father, Dr. Chuwan Kim, for East Rock Institute. Byungkil Kim, M.D., a psychiatrist and, his eldest son, was an East Rock Institute/ Whitney Center visiting scholar in 2014 and worked on aging issues and relevance of Asian medicine to the care of the elderly.